- The Small Business Administration estimates that 80 percent of filed papers are never looked at again.
- The National Soap and Detergent Association believes getting rid of clutter would eliminate 40 percent of the housework in the average home.
- A Harris Interactive study found that 23% of adults say they pay bills late (and incur fees) because they lose them.
- The Self-Storage Association statistic - there are almost 40,000 self-storage facilities in the US, and the demand doubled from 1994 to 2004.
How does clutter affect you?
"Women who see their homes as a source of demands (the need to straighten up clutter or complete unfinished projects) might have more difficulty unwinding effectively from the workday. In other words, feelings about the home might moderate everyday adaptation to the environment."
- taken from "No Place Like Home: Home Tours Correlate With Daily Patterns of Mood and Cortisol" by Darby E. Saxbe, PhD and Rena Repetti, Professor of Clinical Psychology at University of California–Los Angeles